The methods for working with the WYSIWYG editor, or rich-text editor, is the same across all of Serai wherever you see the following type of text area and toolbar:
In addition to the common formatting buttons such as bold, justification, undo etc., there are several special functions worth describing:
- ‘Remove text formatting’ button - use this for instance if you have bold text you’d like to appear as regular text, or to correct any inconsistencies or problems with text you have pasted from an outside source
- Paste as Plain Text - this strips any and all text formatting
- Paste from Word - this method attempts to retain text formatting such as bold, italic, lists and so forth, while stripping any unnecessary proprietary hidden code and style information. Highly recommended when copying and pasting text from MS Word, Google Docs, or other outside sources.
- Insert Link. When clicking this button the following popup appears:
Link type: can be internal path (a page on Serai), URL (an outside website), Link to anchor in the text (useful for tables of contents/long text), and E-mail (an email address). The target tab is optional and allows the link to open in the same window, a new tab, new window etc. Advanced settings are unnecessary and should not be used.
Link: if the link is an internal path (another page on Serai) begin typing the title and auto-complete will provide suggestions
5. Anchor: used in conjunction with links, allows you to incorporate a table of contents type function into the page, whereby clicking one word will bring you to another part of the same page
6. Insert special character, useful for inserting characters from foreign languages or for scientific notation, for example.
7. Insert table. Brings up the following dialog to create a new table. If you select an existing table on the page and click the table button, you can edit its properties:
Notes: in addition to pixel dimensions, you can also set elastic relative dimensions for your table eg. “Width: 90%” would create a table 90% of the width of the page’s text area, changing size with the size of the browser window.
8. Insert image: see separate help guide on this topic
Below the text input area you’ll see the following:
- Disable rich text: toggling this can help when troubleshooting some formatting issues you may encounter. Helpful if you understand basic HTML and CSS. Also used when inserting videos and some other types of outside media (see guide)
- Text format: you’ll generally leave this at ‘Filtered HTML’
- A few notes about the automatic filtering that takes place after saving the page. Note: pressing ENTER will create a new paragraph, but to create text on a new line without a blank line in between, press SHIFT-ENTER
- Resize window - allows you to see more text area, can aid in entering and formatting your text.